First listen to the presentation: The endocrine system
What the system does
1. In addition to mood and reproduction name four things that the endocrine system controls.
The pineal glands
2. What do the pineal glands secrete and what three aspects of the body is this secretion related to?
3. Where is the hypothalamus located; which endocrine gland does it control and in what two ways does the hypothalamus contol this gland?
4. What is the collective name for the two systems that take chemical and nervous signals to the pituitary and what are the three lobes of the pituitary?
The anterior pituitary seceretions
5. In addition to the gonadotrohins name four other anterior pituitary secretions.
The posterior pituitary
6. What are the two secretions of the posterior pituitary gland and give one function of each.
Adrenal cortical hormones
7. Give three functions of glucocorticoids and one function of aldosterone.
The thyroid gland
8. What is secreted by the thyroid gland, what does it do and what is overproduction and underproduction of this hormone called, respectively?
The parathyroid glands
9. What hormones isreleased by the parathyroid glands and what does it do? Which hormone released by the thyroid gland has the opposite effect?
10. What are the two secretions of the adrenal medulla and name two of their actions.
11. Name the two secretions of the Islets of Langerhans and what their respective actions are.
12. Name the female and male gonads and name the secretions of the female gonads.