First listen to the presentation: The renal system
1. Describe the position and composition of the kidneys
2. What vessels are attached to the kidneys? What fraction of the cardiac output goes to the kidneys?
3. What three functions does the kidney undertake and in what order?
Answer: filtration, secretion and reabsorbtion.
4. What are the functional units of the kidneys? Name the regions of this functional unit.
5. Describe the glomerulus.
Answer: the glomerulus is a system of arterial capillaries inside the Bowman's capsule with an afferent vessel and an efferent vessel.
6. Describe what happens at the glomerulus.
Answer: blood enters via the afferent vessel and leaves via the efferent vessel; water and solutes leave the blood and enter the Bowman's capsule; blood cells and blood proteins are retained in the blood.
7. Name four things that are secreted into the nephron.
Answer: hydrogen ions, potassium ions, ammonia, drugs and toxins.
8. Name four things that are reabsorbed into the blood at the nephron.
Urinary bladder and micturition
9. Describe the urinary bladder. What is the major difference in males and females?
10. Describe normal micturition.