First listen to the presentation: The skeletomuscular system
1. What four tissues does a long bone consist of?
2. How many bones are there in the adult skeleton? What are the two major divisions of the skeleton and which mineral is found in bones?
3. Name two parts of the axial skeleton and two parts of the appendicular skeleton.
4. Excluding the jaws and other small bones, name the four largest bones of the skull that enclose the cranium.
5. In addition to the coccyx, what are the four regions of the spine, in order, from the top?
6. What does a joint do and name the three types?
7. In addition to the hinge joint, name four other types of synovial joint.
8. What are the four movements of an angular joint?
9. Name the three types of muscle; which one is also described as 'striped' or 'striated'?
10. What are the two types of contractile protein and where are they contained? What is used in the process of contraction?
11. Describe what happens at a neuromuscular junction.
12. What are the ends of a skeletal muscle called where it joins to the skeleton? What joins the muscle to the bone and what is it made of?
13. Which two muscles of the arm control the movement of the lower arm? How would you describe the relative position of these muscles and which one is responsible for extending the arm?